Meet Anita K. Algiene, M.F.A. - Owner / Cake Artist
Hello! I am wife and mother of two elementary school boys! I have been living in Anchorage Alaska since 2006.
I first picked up cake decorating as a hobby in high school as my mother and I would make cakes together.
I landed my first professional cake decorating job in 1991, and since then I’ve been fortunate to work with some high end bakers and decorators in my career. The highlight is the training I received at the famous Haydel’s Bakery in New Orleans, where I worked from 2000-2006.
Here are a few accolades:
Vendor Highlight - Merryweather Studios - 2017
Listed as "One of the Best Cupcakes in America" - The Daily Meal - 2017
Featured on Wedding Chicks - Ice Cave Wedding Ideas - 2017
Completed the Buttercream Master Class with London based Queen of Hearts Couture Cakes April '18
Completed the "Golden Glamour" Master Class with Australian based Caking It Up - April '18
Completed a Fondant Figure Modeling Workshop with Mimicafe Union - April '18
Completed “Reimaging Your Cake Business” with Jasmine Rae Cakes, Feb. ‘19
Featured on Let’s Bee Together - Romantic Spring Florals - Summer ‘19
With my experience and your ideas, I’m confident we can make your next cake occasion one to remember!
While I was working in the industry, I was studying towards my Masters of Fine Arts Degree in Theatrical Design, specifically in set and costume design. I finished my degree in 2006 and then moved to Alaska to work in UAA's theatre department.
In June 2012 I opened The Midnight Sun Cakery. It is exciting to make great tasting cakes for the community that I am now happily a part of. I love the fact my training in the arts and skills I’ve learned as a baker have come together in the craft of cake design.
The Midnight Sun Cakery is a small cakery that can handle big ideas! I built a custom professional kitchen attached to my home. We choose to work out out of this private licensed kitchen so your orders will be personally executed and made to order!
Why Choose The Midnight Sun Cakery?
- We are committed to using the finest ingredients in order to produce a cake, that will not only taste great, but look exceptional. We use real butter, real vanilla, real heavy whipping cream, ghirardelli chocolate, and real fruit reduction sauces. We use DoTerra Oils when we can to flavor our cakes and fillings, Lavender, Lemon, Lime, Peppermint & Citrus Bliss. Our cakes do not contain trans-fats or high fructose corn syrup.
- We bake each cake to order with fresh ingredients. Each cake is created to not only be exceptionally moist, but full of taste and have the ability to hold up to the demands of a custom cake.
- We have an impeccable reputation! Anita, herself, has over 25 years experience in baking and decorating cakes, and our cakes are delivered on time and to order. No exceptions!
- We work in a licensed commercial kitchen dedicated to a professional and personable atmosphere.
- Anita has an M.F.A. in Design. So, we know the importance of color, composition and sculpture. We apply that training into edible art. We also keep up with what is trending so we can translate your ideas into a unique cake that fits your style. We are tech savvy and do our research before we come up with your design.
- We prefer to work with our great tasting buttercream, using a minimal amount of added dyes.
- We love working with our customers to create a cake that you want. The customer is truly first in our shop!